Monday, December 05, 2005

Sometimes...

I wonder why I take art so seriously. Who am I doing it for anyway? (myself?) Is there any reason for me to aspire to be another Qi Baishi, or Huang Binhong, or Li Keran, though I know it's entirely impossible (these people spent like at least 8 hours on art everyday for decades)? If I can't achieve greatness, is there any meaning to striving to do well at it? Qi Baishi even sacrificed time with people just to do his art (he even went so far as to post a note saying 'Qi Baishi is dead' on his door).

Honestly, I can't think of anything else to say besides 'art gives me joy and meaning'. Like everyone else, I have been very happy and very sad before, and I try to express these in my drawings. Looking back at some of the stuff I had done, I'm actually quite happy with them. I can never compare myself with the masters. Perhaps I'm even technically inferior compared to the NAFA or La Salle students, but I'm happy that I've done certain drawings that I like and I'm proud enough to show people some of these drawings.

Perhaps the journey of art is like a journey of spirituality. You do not ask why you embark on it. Just go, and enjoy the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home