Saturday, December 10, 2005

my barest soul

1. Huang Binhong and Li Keran

If art is about appearance, Li Keran would have an edge over Huang Binhong; but if art is about soul and depth, or even poetry, I would rate Huang's art over Li's art. Li Keran's art is modern and has a powerful presence. Of course, there is a lot of deliberate thought and skill as well. Huang, on the other hand, is already at one with both Nature and the brush and ink. An old willow tree by Old Huang is worth more than a large mountainscape by Li in his middle years.

2. Remix in art

Brian is suggesting that I pass him some of my drawings so that he may do 'remixes' to them (i.e. scan them and make them larger as part of an installation, or 'have a dialogue' with Alfian's poetry etc.) I am out of touch with modern art for too long and am too lazy to think about it, so I just agreed.

3. Philosophy in art and life (quotes I cherish)

a) Take life easy, as the leaves grow on the trees (as the grass grows on the weirs).
b) Love your neighbours. Love your enemies.
c) ....(he studies) a single blade of grass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home