Thursday, December 08, 2005

my barest soul (episode 3)

1. Moving

In spite of my heavy work schedule, I delayed work till tomorrow to see what I could do to help Dr Ho shift to the new studio today. His studio at Tiong Bahru is no more; he is moving into another studio in the west. I love this man more than my own father. He has taught me many useful things in life. Somehow I wish things will never change. We would just take long walks, find a spot, sit down, and draw, after which we'll discuss our work, then have a coffee or tea, or even a meal together. I took an old bag which he didn't want. I also saw a painting which I did in 2003 that I gave to him. Anyhow, his new studio is very posh -- which doesn't suit his taste. I look forward to greater things from him...or perhaps, *us*.

2. Universal values in Chinese Art

Today, after leaving Dr Ho's new studio, I met my student at Jurong Regional Library. She is an Indian student, but we spent about two hours looking at Li Keran and Huang Binhong's art. Li Keran taught the most important values in learning: humility and determination. I have not seen anyone surpass him in terms of discipline in art. Perhaps only his fellow masters Qi Baishi and Huang Binhong, and maybe Wu Cangshuo and Lu Yanshao. My student was very impressed by the volume of sketches alone. I recall how small and insignificant I felt when I was running through the volume of sketches back in 2003 or 2004. My art will probably never reach his level, but the important thing is this: I do not need my work to look like his, but I must have his kind of values, spirit and character. Huang Binhong, well, is simply sublime, mysterious and unfathomable, though I only truly understood the meaning of unfathomable when I saw Li Keran's ink paintings. I will also always remember the sketches of Lu Yanshao which I saw in the museum. Those five pieces of A4-sized works moved and stirred me greatly -- I knew he was a poetic man just by those five sketches alone. While all the larger scrolls and big names went by, Lu Yanshao (whom I didn't know previously) moved me with five small pieces of paper. His works were not even framed or hung; they were displayed on a table sealed with glass casing. I want to learn from these people: they spent their whole lives devoted to perfecting a craft and sharing beauty with the world. While their art looks vastly different, their values are the same: diligence, honesty, sincerity...

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger ice_kachang said...

glad that u got to know Dr Ho tho' i don't know him personally :)

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger sin said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home